Kennett Placemakers Youth Competition, Kennett Square’s first placemaking competition brought to you by Historic Kennett Square and Square Roots Collective, invites creative young people ages 12 to 18 to dream up an idea that would make Kennett Square a better place for people.
See below for a link to some examples of placemaking projects from Kennett Square and around the country.
How do you enter?
- Brainstorm. Dream up a project that would make Kennett an even better place for people. Think about how you see people inhabiting and interacting (or not) in various places around town. What do you love about Kennett Square? What’s missing?
- Once you have your idea, think about what resources you might need—volunteers, skills, materials, space? (Remember that the budget is $1,000.)
- Submit your project idea to Historic Kennett Square. All submissions must be received by 5pm on Wednesday, November 24, 2021.
Historic Kennett Square will select three project finalists from all youth entries, and these individuals/teams will present their ideas to a live audience at the How We Build Matters speakers series event on January 18, 2022. The audience at that event will vote for their favorite project, and the winner will receive $1,000 to implement their project. By choosing an idea together, we’ll be taking one small step towards make our community an even better place.
- Submission deadline: November 24, 2021.
- Your idea should have a scope that can be implemented for approximately $1,000 and finished by June 2022. The finished product should be something that is safe for all ages, functions unattended, exists within the footprint of the Borough of Kennett Square (map here), and is feasible to implement.
- The staff of Historic Kennett Square will narrow down the submissions to three finalists. All finalists will pitch their ideas in front of a live audience at the How We Build Matters speakers series event on January 18, 2022. The winners will be selected by audience vote and announced that evening.
- With guidance from HKS, all necessary permits must be applied for by the winner and approved by the Borough prior to project implementation. Historic Kennett Square will guide the winner to secure necessary approvals from the Borough and assist as needed throughout the project’s implementation.
Full contest rules
Who may enter the Kennett Placemakers youth competition?
- Anyone between the ages of 12 and 18 who is a resident of Kennett Square or Kennett Township. (NB: If you are over 18, please click here for adult contest rules and details.)
- Please note: all contestants under 18 must have a supervising adult (18 or older) associated with the project.
- Groups may enter, but no more than two people can present the idea on January 18, 2022.
- Must be focused on the general theme of making Kennett Square a better place for people.
- Design and target location must be specified.
- The project’s scope must be such that it can be successfully implemented for a total cost of no more than $1,000.
- The space created must be safe for all ages.
- The project must function unattended (i.e., no event type installation).
- The project must be feasible to implement by June 1, 2022.
- The project must be implemented within the Borough of Kennett Square (map here).
(for finalists selected to present at the KSQ Speaker Series: How We Build Matters event on January 18, 2022)
- Presentation must be no more than 3–5 minutes long.
- A digital presentation format is recommended.
- Presentation will be on stage in front of a live audience.
- No more than two people will be allowed to present—preferably one person from a team will present.
- Should your entry be selected as a semi-finalist, digital presentation must be submitted to Historic Kennett Square by Friday, January 14, 2022.
- Presenters will not be required to answer questions from the audience but will be asked to respond to questions prepared by the event moderators.
- Winner must be flexible and open to working with HKS on project implementation to deliver a finished project by June 1, 2022.
- The $1,000 prize will cover the costs of the project implementation; the money will not be dispersed to the person(s) who win. Historic Kennett Square will hold the prize money to pay for the cost of implementation.
- If an audience member wants to contribute additional money to the winning idea, they may do this directly through Historic Kennett Square.
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Coming soon: Kennett Placemakers Youth Competition Entry Form!